Direct and Indirect Speech examples
Direct and Indirect speech
Incorrect: William asked his wife what had she prepared for dinner that night.
Correct: William asked his wife what she had prepared for dinner that night.
Incorrect: He didn’t say that he will bring the books tomorrow.
Correct: He didn’t say that he would bring the books tomorrow.
Incorrect: Mark told to his friend to buy a car.
Correct: Mark told his friend to buy a car.
Explanation:- don’t use told & to together(said to= told)
Incorrect: The judge asked me if I knew the accused or not.
Correct: The judge asked me whether I knew the accused or not.
Incorrect: The teacher asked the student if he knows the answer to the question.
Correct: The teacher asked the student if he knew the answer to the question.
Incorrect: He told me that he has not read the book.
Correct: He told me that he had not read the book.
you may read also:-
Direct and Indirect speech questions in SSC-CGL
1. His friend could not tell me why he did not come to college yesterday. [SSC-2011 stenographer]
A. why had he not come B. why did he not come
C. why not had he come D. no improvement
Explanation:- why + subject + helping verb
2. I asked the traveler where is he going. [SSC-2011]
A. where he is going B. Where was he going
C. where he was going D. no improvement
3. The teacher said, “The Earth revolves around the sun.” [SSC-2017]
1) The teacher said that the Earth is revolving around the sun
2) The teacher said that the Earth revolves around the sun.
3) The teacher said that the Earth revolved around the sun.
4) The teacher said that the Earth had been revolving around the sun.
Ans: The teacher said that the Earth revolves around the sun.
4. Nisha said to Swati, ” Will you help me in my project just now?” [SSC-2017]
1) Nisha told Swati whether she will help her in her project just now.
2) Nisha asked Swati if she would help her in her project just then.
3) Nisha questioned to Swati that will you help me in my project just now.
4) Nisha asked Swati that will she help her in her work just now.
Ans: Nisha asked Swati if she would help her in her project just then.
You may read also:-
- ADVERB OF MANNER EXAMPLES WITH RULES
- CORRECT USE OF COLLECTIVE NOUNS
- TOP 50 ADJECTIVES STARTING WITH A
- SENTENCE REARRANGEMENT TIPS FOR BANK PO/SSC EXAMS
- GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES RULES AND EXAMPLES
- AWAITING VS WAITING | CORRECT USE OF ENGLISH WORDS
- CORRECT USE OF QUANTIFIERS
- CORRECT USE OF UNTIL AND UNLESS IN A SENTENCE
- MOST COMMON ERRORS WITH TENSE
- SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT COMMON ERRORS
- IMPORTANT RULES FOR PREPOSITIONS WITH EXPLANATION
- BEST TRICKS TO SOLVE CLOZE TEST IN SSC & BANK EXAMS
- 3 CONDITIONALS (TYPE 1, 2 AND 3)
- TYPES OF PRONOUNS IN HINDI
- COUNTABLE AND UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS