Question Tags Best Examples | Question Tag Exercise
A question tag is a short question that comes at the end of a statement (sentence).
Question tag = Auxiliary verb + pronoun ?
Incorrect: Ram doesn’t know how to swim, does Ram?
Correct: Ram doesn’t know how to swim, does he?
Incorrect: I think he will not attend the party, won’t he?
Correct: I think he will not attend the party, will he?
Explanation:- A negative statement is followed by a positive question tag.
Incorrect: Let us celebrate the party, can we?
Correct: Let us celebrate the party, shall we?
Explanation:- let us/let’s से शुरू होने वाले वाक्यो में ‘shall we’ को use करते है
Incorrect: Don’t go there, do you?
Correct: Don’t go there, will you?
Explanation:- यदि main वाक्य ’don’t + V1’ से शुरू हो तब ‘will you’ का use करते है
Incorrect: Try to work hard, will you?
Correct: Try to work hard, won’t you?
Explanation:- आदेश या निवेदन वाले वाक्य में question tag के लिए ‘won’t you’ का प्रयोग करते है
Incorrect: His reasons can be good, isn’t it?
Correct: His reasons can be good, can’t they?
Question tag exercise
1. Your father used to be the principal of this college,………..?[SSC-2010]
A. did he B. Does he
C. didn’t he D. doesn’t he
2. Ram helps everyone,…………..[SSC-2012]
A. isn’t he? B. Doesn’t he?
C. isn’t it? D. does he?
3. We met yesterday, haven’t we?[SSC-2015]
A. didn’t we? B.No Improvement
C. isn’t it? D. hadn’t we?
Explanation:- Question tag and the sentence must be in the same tense.
4. one cannot be indifferent to one’s health, can’t one? [SSC AD-2014]
A. can’t be? B. Can one?
C. isn’t it? D. no improvement
Explanation:- A negative statement is followed by a positive question tag and a positive statement is followed by a negative question tag.
5. When I came to your room yesterday,(A)/you were watching the T.V.,(B)/isn’t it?(C)/ no error(D)
Ans:- C (weren’t you?) [SSC-VC2012]
6. All people want to be happy, do they? [SSC-2016]
A. don’t they? B. are they?
C. didn’t they? D. No improvement
You may read also:-
- ADVERB OF MANNER EXAMPLES WITH RULES
- TOP 50 ADJECTIVES STARTING WITH A
- SENTENCE REARRANGEMENT TIPS FOR BANK PO/SSC EXAMS
- GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES RULES AND EXAMPLES
- MOST COMMON ERRORS WITH TENSE
- SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT COMMON ERRORS
- IMPORTANT RULES FOR PREPOSITIONS WITH EXPLANATION
- COUNTABLE AND UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS