Relative Pronouns Examples [who, whom, whose which]
Relative pronouns are the pronouns that are used to join two clause, phrases or sentences.Relative pronouns are used to mean- who, whom, whose.
Ex:- I know the man who stole your car.
The boy who is sitting in the garden is my cousin.
The boy = noun,
who is sitting in the garden = adjective clause
Points to remember:-
- An adjective clause modifies the noun/pronoun in a sentence that begins with who/which/whom/whose/that (relative pronoun).
- An adjective clause comes after the noun/pronoun it modifies and the noun/pronoun are called antecedent.
Relative pronouns examples
Incorrect: He is one of those students who comes late in the class.
Correct: He is one of those students who come late in the class.
Explanation:- The verb after relative pronouns(who/which/that) is used according to the number of antecedents (students)
Incorrect: This is the man that I was speaking of?
Correct: This is the man who I was speaking of?
Incorrect: Today I met a person, whom younger brother works with me.
Correct: Today I met a person, whose younger brother works with me.
Incorrect: My friend, John will sell his house who is going abroad.
Correct: My friend, John who is going abroad will sell his house.
Incorrect: Tenali Raman was a great Telugu poet which was known for his wit and humor.
Correct: Tenali Raman was a great Telugu poet who was known for his wit and humor.
Explanation:- who is used for John not for the house, so it must follow that noun.
Incorrect: One of my desires are to become a doctor.
Correct: One of my desires is to become a doctor.
Explanation:- One of the+ plural noun/pronoun + singular verb
Incorrect: This is a boy who won the gold medal in the dance competition.
Correct: This is the boy who won the gold medal in the dance competition.
Explanation:- The + Noun + who/which/that +verb
You may read also:-
- ADVERB OF MANNER EXAMPLES WITH RULES
- CORRECT USE OF COLLECTIVE NOUNS
- TOP 50 ADJECTIVES STARTING WITH A
- SENTENCE REARRANGEMENT TIPS FOR BANK PO/SSC EXAMS
- GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES RULES AND EXAMPLES
- AWAITING VS WAITING | CORRECT USE OF ENGLISH WORDS
- CORRECT USE OF QUANTIFIERS
- CORRECT USE OF UNTIL AND UNLESS IN A SENTENCE
- MOST COMMON ERRORS WITH TENSE
- SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT COMMON ERRORS
- IMPORTANT RULES FOR PREPOSITIONS WITH EXPLANATION
- BEST TRICKS TO SOLVE CLOZE TEST IN SSC & BANK EXAMS
- 3 CONDITIONALS (TYPE 1, 2 AND 3)
- TYPES OF PRONOUNS IN HINDI
- COUNTABLE AND UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS