Subject-verb agreement rules in Hindi
The usage of a verb according to the number and person of the subject in any sentence is called subject-verb agreement. किसी भी sentence में subject के number तथा person के अनुसार verb का प्रयोग subject-verb agreement कहलाता है|English grammar को समझने के लिए व किसी भी प्रतियोगी परीक्षा को पास करने के लिए subject-verb agreement rules को जानना बहुत आवश्यक है|
Subject-verb agreement rules
Subject-verb agreement basic rule
A singular subject takes a singular verb and plural subject takes a plural verb.
अर्थात एकवचन कर्ता के साथ एकवचन क्रिया का तथा बहुवचन कर्ता के साथ बहुवचन क्रिया का होता है
- Singular verb: verb + s/es (sits, dances, eats, goes, writes etc.)
- Plural verb: Verb without s/es (sit, dance, eat, go, write, etc.)
Let’s look at the following example:
1. He plays cricket
In above sentence, the subject is “he” that is singular. So we use the singular verb (play+s=plays)
2. They play cricket.
In the above sentence, the subject is “they”. The subject is plural. Hence the verb form will also be plural.
|Singular verb||Plural verb|
|V1+s/es (plays, goes)||V1(play, go)|
you may read also:-
- Correct use of English words
- Top 3 tips to solve cloze test easily in competitive exams
- Spotting errors tips for SSC exams
- Types of adjectives and degree of adjectives
- Top 100 common errors in English Grammar
- Question tags rules with examples
- Types of Adjectives
- Subject and verb agreement common errors
- How to use collective nouns correctly in a sentence
- Important questions on Tense [Asked in SSC CGL]
- Articles[a, an, the] exercise with answers
Subject-verb agreement rules
- Ram as well as you is innocent.
- All my friends together with my uncle are going to Goa tonight.
Rule 2: Use a singular verb with non-countable nouns.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- My hair is black.
Rule 3: Indefinite pronouns such as everyone, everybody, somebody, nobody, someone, no one, everyone, require a singular verb.
- Everyone looks excited about the picnic.
- Nobody was in class when the bell rang.
Rule 4: Sums of money, periods of time, and distance require a singular verb.
- Three hours is enough time to finish the test.
- A thousand dollars is a large sum to pay.
Rule 5: Plural-looking Subjects that take Singular Verbs: Nouns that are plural in form but singular in meaning agree with singular verbs. Such nouns include civics, economics, physics, mathematics, social studies, molasses, mumps, news (and others).
- Physics is my favorite subject.
- Measles is a dangerous disease for children.
Rule 6: A gerund used as the subject of the sentence requires a singular verb.
Ex:- Growing flowers is her hobby.
Rule 7:- Each/every/either/neither/any/one+ of +the + N/P (plural) )+S.V.
Ex:-Neither of machines was in good condition. (incorrect)
Neither of the machines were in good condition. (incorrect)
Neither of the machines was in good condition. (correct)
Rule 8:- Most/some/all/many + of + the (my/our/your/his/her..)+ plural countable noun(P.C.N.) + P.V.+…….plural pronoun+…..
Ex:-All of the students have completed their homework.
Many of the engineers work in this company.
Note:- One of + the (my/our/your/his/her..) + P.C.N. + S.V.+…………..
Ex:- One of my friend is going to Delhi tomorrow. (incorrect)
One of my friends are going to Delhi tomorrow. (incorrect)
One of my friends is going to Delhi tomorrow. (correct)
Rule 9:- Singular collective noun + of + P.C.N. + S.V.
Ex:- A team of players has been selected for the Champions Trophy.