English questions for SSC CGL | CHSL 2018-19
1. I got used……………on the right when I was in the U.S. for two years.
a.driving b. to drive c. to driving d. by driving
Rule:- is/are/was/were/get + used +to + V with ing.
2. She is not used (to sleep) for so long. [SSC-2017]
a. to be sleeping b. to sleep
c. to sleeping d. No improvement
Ans: to sleeping
3. All the students in the class (A)/began shouting (B)/at each other.(C)/no error(D)
Each other:- for two
One another:- more than two
4. The period(A)/between 2010 to 2015 (B)/ was very significant in my life.(C)/ no error(D)
5. I went to Australia just before a week.
a. a week before b. a week earlier c. a week ago d. no improvement
Explanation:- Ago is used for past time from the present time. Before (earlier) is used for past time from another past time.
Ex:- Yesterday I missed the train. I reached the station at 7:10 but the train had left 10 minutes before(earlier).
6. We must…………..ourselves to changing circumstances.
a. adopt b. Adept c. adapt d. accept
Adopt:- गोद लेना
7. much/many:- much:- मात्रा में अधिक, many:- संख्या में अधिक
Ex:- There is many water in the bottle. (incorrect)
There is much water in the bottle. (correct)
Ex:- There are much books on the table. (incorrect)
There are many books on the table. (correct)
8. further/farther:- further:- और, farther:- दूरी में अधिक
Ex:- Mumbai is further from delhi than Agra. (incorrect)
Mumbai is farther from delhi than Agra. (correct)
Ex:- They don’t want to talk about this matter farther. (incorrect)
They don’t want to talk about this matter further. (correct)
9. elder/older:- elder:- खून के रिश्ते में बड़ा, older:- उम्र में बड़ा (may be anyone)
Ex:- I am elder than my friend. (incorrect)
I am older than my friend. (correct)
Ex:- Ravi is my older brother. (incorrect)
Ravi is my elder brother. (correct)
10. Practice/ Practise.
Ex:- Practice makes a man perfect. (correct) [as a noun]
Practice the question given in the assignment. (incorrect)
Practise the question given in the assignment. (correct) [as a verb]
Q. I complaint against him(A)/as in spite of my repeated warning(B)/he failed to mend his ways(C)/no error(D)
Ex:- I have lodged a complain against him. (incorrect)
I have lodged a complaint against him. (correct)
Ex:- The quality of your work affects your grade.
Q. Failure must not have a permanent affect on a person. (incorrect)
Failure must not have a permanent effect on a person. (correct)